Monday, September 8, 2008

First Glimpse

New to Canada...yep, that's me! Born and raised in the U.S. (specifically Maine) I've traveled and lived in quite a few places, both in the U.S. and "other". Canada is the first place I've decided to make more permanent...you know, by going through all the paperwork and making it official? Loving my new country but not willing to give up my U.S. citizenship, I consider myself to be "AmeriCanadian".
I come from a long line of cooks...it's "in my blood" you could say. Art, in it's many forms, is woven through my life and my family...cooking, painting (my mother), photography (that's me), etc...everything is done with that little artistic flair! Don't mistake that for being like some Martha Stewart wanna-be...I'm not uptight like that. I just put a little more into the things I do....but it comes naturally to me.
Cooking in my newly adopted country has been so much fun! I am surrounded by every type of food you can imagine. I love all types of food, but have to say that Asian foods, of all kinds, are my favorite to cook and to eat. The options here are endless...now, if only my wallet was!
There are a few "comfort items" I have had to do without here...Lobster (I am a Maine girl after all), American cheese, Fluff (like marshmallow creme only...better) and my favorite organic yogurt are just a few. No worries though...I get my fill when I go back for visits. The trade offs make it more bearable...local Ontario produce, milk in a bag (still fascinated by that one), spicy Yugoslavian sausage, the BEST cream-horns ever and wonderful Portuguese neighbors that make (and like to share) the best red wine I have ever tasted!
So far, Canada has been an interesting chapter in my life...more chapters to come!!

No comments: